Ron  Vetter asked me on the email about the use of patches for delivery of
levodopa.  I told him there are considerable technical difficulties
associated with this method of delivering levodopa as well as carbidopa.

Levodopa is only stable for more than a few short hours when it is maintained
as a solid but solids are known to work in some patches.  Carbidopa or a
substitute has to be adminstered along with the levodopa to prevent
absolutley terrible side effects.  Patches are not yet advanced enough
technologically to deliver more than one drug.  So two patches would be
needed.  Then there is the problem of dose.  Most patches can only deliver
several miligrams of drug per day.  Unfortunately most people on levodopa
need at least 300 mg per day plus at least 75 mg of carbidopa.  These doses
are just too much for present patch delivery systmes to handle.

The only hope for a levodopa patch would come if a patch manufacturer made
experimental patches and then showed not as much levodopa is needed to
achieve efficacy.  This is a difficult task because it will have to be done
with many many patients and for varied lengths of time in order to convince
the FDA that the drug works in that format.

Ron also asked if there were many companies making patches for use with any
type of drug.  The answer to that is no.  I know of two for sure (Cygnus and
Theratech) and there could be a third - possibly Elan.  There are other
companies selling drugs in the patch configuration but they are manufactured
for those companies by one of the above.

I think your best bet for the moment is keep using

 the solid tablets, but that does not mean you and I should not seek better
means of therapy.

Best regards,

Joe Irr