I think it would be useful to put out on the net the list of possible
side-effects of Sinamet, just so we can all be aware of how PD and Sinamet
might interact.  As usual, this list cites ALL recorded side-effects, not to
imply that all, some, or any might affect any one individual.  My aunt sent me
this, copied from "The Pill Book."  It was helpful for my mother to see this
list, because it made her feel better about the trouble she has been having
with memory, hallucinations, etc. Note: the side-effects of any drug are always
startling in their number and scariness; this list should not prompt people to
seek immediately to go off Sinamet, which also has vital good effects.

Possible side effects:
Uncontrolled muscle movements [!!], loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach
pain, dry mouth, difficulty swallowing, dribbling saliva from the side of the
mouth, shaking of the hands, headache, dizziness, numbness, weakness, feeling
faint, grinding of the teeth, confusion, sleeplessness, nightmares,
hallucinations, anxiety, agitation, tiredness, feeling of ill health, feeling
of euphoria.

Less Common Side-effects:
Heart palpitations, dizziness when rising quickly from a sitting position,
sudden extreme slowness of movement (on-off phenomenon), mental changes,
including paranoia, psychosis and depression, and slowdown of mental
functioning.

Other side-effects include difficult urination, muscle twitching, spasms of the
eyelids, lockjaw, burning sensation on the tongue, bitter taste, diarrhea,
constipation, stomach gas, flushing of the skin, rash, sweating, unusual
breathing, double or blurred vision, dilation of the pupils of the eyes, hot
flashes, changes in body weight, darkening of the urine or sweat.

Occasionally Sinamet may cause bleeding of the stomach or development of an
ulcer, high blood pressure, adverse effects on components of the blood,
irritation of blood vessels, hiccups, feeling of being stimulated, retention of
body fluid, hair loss, hoarseness of the voice, or persistent penile erection.

_______

P.S.  Many thanks for Dr. Kelly's WONDERFUL rebuttal to that sensationalist NYT
article.

Virginia Tilley