Shannon Douglas wrote:
>My grandfather, who has symptoms of broca's aphasia, has just recently be
>en suspected of being in the first stages of Parkinson's disease.  An MRI
five
>years ago, when the aphasic symptoms began to appear, showed nothing at all.

It could be a syndrome known as Primary Progressive Aphasia (a.k.a. Mesulam's
Syndrome).  Here are a few references:

Mesulam M-M, 1982 Annals Neurol 11;592-598
Feher E P, et al., 1991 J Ger Psych & Neuro 4;235-240
Hodges J R, et al., 1992 Brain 115;1783-1806

Talk it over with his doctor & see what he/she says.

mike

Mahmood (Mike) A. Usman, M.D.
Director, Memory and Movement Disorder Programs
Medical College of PA & Hahnemann University, Allegheny Campus
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  [log in to unmask]
Phone: (412) 330-4005   Fax: (412) 330-4089
4 Allegheny Center      Pittsburgh, PA 15212 USA

                     IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
All material presented here is for information purposes only and
is not intended to represent diagnosis, prescription of medications
or treatments, nor specific prescribing recommendations.  The opinions
expressed here are those of the author alone and are not intended to
represent those of any organization or other individuals.