---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:14:07 -0500
From: Elaine Madison <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Welcome

Dear Barbara:

Thanks for welcoming me to the PARKINSN list.  I found out about the list
from the Wall Street Journal article--which I read a day before I flew from
Durham, NC to Phoenix,AZ to help my mom, who was diagnosed with PD or a
Parkinsonian Syndrome over 30 years ago and has severe tremor, rigidity,
and balance problems, move into a nursing home.  Despite my mom's usual
quiet courage, that day was one of the toughest and most heartbreaking I
have ever had to face.  Reading the WSJ article about some of the
pallidotomy successes and the existence of this great way to communicate
with others in the PD patient and caregiver communities gave me strength to
cope and hope that this might not be the last stop for my mother.

        I am currently looking for a neurosurgeon in the Phoenix, AZ metro
area who will evaluate her for this procedure.  I look forward to
communicating with other adult children of PD patients who are in a similar
situation.

        Again, thanks for including me on the list.

[log in to unmask] (Elaine Madison)