From <@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU:[log in to unmask]> Thu Mar 16 18:19:00 1
 995

Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:06:00 EST

Sender: "Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network"

From: "P.J. Kelly" <[log in to unmask]>

Subject:      Re: New York Times Article 3/16/95

Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]
 LO.EDU>

To Listmembers:

Friends:

 Ordinarily I would not get into a debate over inaccuracies published in a

 newspaper. After all, it happens all of the time. However, the coverage of

 Pallidotomy in the recent New York Times article (3/16/95) was so distorted

 and unfair that it is unconscionable that I feel that I should comment even

--More--[Hit space to continue or q to stop.]
 though it may seem self-serving since I do Pallidotomies within a carefully

--More--[Hit space to continue or q to stop.]
 controlled research effort at New York University Medical Center. Please be

 assured that I could stop doing pallidotomies tomarrow (they comprise less

 than 10 percent of my practice) and would have plenty of work-brain tumors,

 thalamotomies and other general neurosurgical procedures. I have no real

 vested interest in the procedure except that I feel that it's a good operation

 in selected patients with Parkinson's disease.

However, this reporter has done a major disservice to the community of people

suffering from Parkinson's disease in a vicious attempt to slander a member of

the medical community who has done much more good than harm. In the process she

has destroyed hope for many who wish for a better life but are now scared out

of their wits of having a surgery which could help them. She has created

needless anxiety in those who plan on having the operation.

First, some of the points raised in the article are true but incomplete. All

surgery (including pallidotomy) has risks. In addition a good result cannot be

expected in each and every individual. This is true for any surgical procedure

one can name. Dr. Iaconno has done over 500 pallidotomies and as in any

surgical series a certain percentage of patients may be worse off

(complications). It seems as if the New York Times has found a few of

them-that's not surprising in a large series such as his. Had they wanted to do

a marginally adequate job of reporting they would have found many more

--More--[Hit space to continue or q to stop.]
individuals who had benefitted from the procedure than had been hurt by it.

There is no doubt about the fact that every patient who undergoes any medical

procedure; surgery, getting intravenous contrast for a diagnostic test or even

filling a prescription for medication assumes a risk. Obviously, the doctor and

the patient hope for the desired benefit; but there is no way to predict if a

patient will have an adverse effect (if there were, we wouldn't do it). All of

us are human (even if some of us have an MD after our name) and none of would

consciously do harm to another human being. Nonetheless, as a neurosurgeon, I

freely admit that some of the people that I've operated upon are worse off

after my procedures. If I had only known  prior to surgery that this person or

that would suffer a complication in my hands, I wouldn't have touched them.

But every surgery has a benefit to risk ratio; with thalamotomy in Parkinson's

disease there is a 90% chance that we'll stop tremor-a 4.8 percent chance that

the patient will have some side effect or complication. With Pallidotomy-a very

similar procedure- the benefit is harder to measure (tremor is either there or

it isn't; pronouncement of improvement in rigidity and bradykinesia relies on

the subjective impressions of the patient and examiner). Nevertheless, with

pallidotomy the benefit appears to be about 80% and the risk of complications

with a carefully done proceure about 5%. For example if Dr Iaconno performed

500 pallidotomies, there would be about 25 people who are worse off by some

--More--[Hit space to continue or q to stop.]
complication or other, but 400 people who derived benefit and now think he's a

great guy - even though the New York Times in a feeble effort to sell

newspapers finds it in their interest not to agree.

What about the effects of the procedure not lasting? Some patients have had

only short term benefit to pallidotomy. What the NYT article didn't say is that

many of Laitinen's patients were found to have derived long term benefit.

Please understand this. Parkinson's disease is a progressive disease whose

course is unaltered by treatment. The best a physician can do is to create

plateaus in the patient's disability by palliating the symptoms causing that

disability. All initially effective therapy (L-DOPA, Sinamet, thalamotomy,

pallidotomy) results in "temporary" improvement. But temporary can be months or

many years until the disease catches up again. As I'm sure all of you

know-Parkinson's disease progresses faster in some people than in others.

Now with the above as background, I hope that the members of the list will

indulge me as I take this silly "reporter" and her article apart: (My comments

will be in CAPS, those following the >represent the original text of the

article)