Monday, March 20, 1995

Dear Peter:

I downloaded your message of yesterday, this containing the Nova Scotia
Newsletter on Parkinson's Disease.  I have forwarded it to my
father-in-law, a retired physician (age 90) who is living in Hawaii and
who has advanced PD (he is becoming refractory to the medications, but
has opted to decline surgery).

As you probably know, I am one of those "conservative types" who has
been urging a note of caution regarding pallidotomy.  My caution is
based on the fact that I, in the sixties, was active in the era of
stereotactic surgery for PD and other movements disorders, and saw how
inadequate those operations were at that time.  I think that there is
good support for the "revival" of the research into ablative surgery
(and that's what pallidotomy is, a destruction of "normal" cells and
pathways in order to treat an "abnormal" condition); and I am interested
in and respect the work being done at Emory University and by
investigators such as Dr. Patrick Kelly at NYU.

I am somewhat puzzled at your trying to relate those of us who are
urging caution to financial considerations.  I do not do this operation
(I stopped in the late sixties); if I wanted to increase my income, it
would not be too difficult to get my hospital to purchase some equipment
for me and start doing pallidotomies (it is not a difficult operation as
neurosurgery goes).  At $30-40K a case, I could make a fine income just
doing these cases; and, in many cases, these would be essentially cash
payments, since many insurance companies consider the procedure
"experimental" and patients would have to pay "out of pocket".  I am
content, however, to leave the pallidotomizing to those investigators
who have the facilities and experience, and wait the time necessary to
fully evaluate the possible benefits.  I have had extensive
correspondence with Dr. Kelly, and the most salient point of his
messages to me is:  "The true test of pallidotomy is whether we will
still be doing them five years from now".  I agree with his view, and
what I object to in the current debate is the portrayal of this
procedure as a "cure".

Please do not denigrate the "scientific method".  It has served us well
over the years and there are good reasons to maintain a conservative
approach.  I do not know how old you are, Peter, but I remember, back in
the fifties and early sixties, when we had the Thalidomide controversy.
 Thalidomide was a drug, developed in Britain and Europe, which was
touted as a "cure" for the "morning sickness" of pregnancy, and was
prescribed to many pregnant women (often in the first trimester when the
nausea is often at its worst) on the other side of the Atlantic.  The
company which manufactured Thalidomide tried to have it approved in the
United States, but the then-director of the Food and Drug
Administration, a woman named Frances Kelsey, M. D., would not allow
importation of the drug without careful evaluation by the "scientific
method", this due to her concerns (which later proved correct) that the
chemical structure of the drug was related to other substances which had
been found to cause fetal defects.  Many Americans, while on trips to
Britain and Europe, brought back supplies of Thalidomide and took the
drug; and when the fetal malformations developed (birth of babies
without arms or legs), we had an amazing series of debates over abortion
for these people (the well-publicized case of Sherri Finkbine of
Arizona, who was denied an abortion here and finally got her abortion in
Sweden).  Thalidomide was finally withdrawn from the market even in
Europe; but the courageous actions of Dr. Kelsey prevented an even
larger tragedy in the United States.  I do not object to a "review" of
any "rules"; but before one changes a "time-tested" rule based on sound
scientific principles, one must be very careful to "not throw the baby
out with the bath-water".

If you think that this note is appropriate for same, please feel free to
publish my comments in your Newsletter, and, if you do, please send me a
copy.

Best wishes,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"