For those of you who read the New York Times article, Terrie Whitling who is
quoted and noted to be on a speaking tour in Texas was in Houston.  She and a
man who lives here who also has had the surgery at Emory spoke to seven of
our support groups in five days.

It was an incredible presentation, about 2 hours for each group, which so
excited those who heard them that our phones are still ringing off the wall!
 They had video tape of before and during their surgeries much like Prime
Time Live a couple of weeks ago but they also were there in the flesh to tell
their stories.  We saw the actual moment that the man recovered much of his
power of speech, very important to him since he is a teacher of theater arts,
and the amount of  relief each obtained from muscular symptoms.  It was
powerful stuff!

I can't tell you what it did in terms of morale for the members present. It
gave them hope for the future, whether it be surgery or some other as yet
undiscovered treatment.  The two are a great team.  I just wish all of you
could hear what they have to say and the wonderful upbeat way they make their
presentation.  It is impressive to say the least!

They make it very clear that they are not cured and will still fight the
disease with everything they have.  They also make it clear that this surgery
is definately not for everyone.  But, just seeing them and listening to their
stories had a profound effect on everyone present.

Anne Martin