Dear Susan Romano:
To answer your questions to me on Mar 3, l995 -
I've known about stereotactic surgery for a long time.  During my rotation in
surgery as a nursing student (UVA)I circulated during what I now think was a
thalamotomy to stop tremors in a non-stop tremoring patient.  (It worked).
 When I "caught" PD 9-10 years ago I started going to PD meetings all over
Canada and the US - and subscribed to all the PD organization newsletters.  I
also bought all the PD books.  More and more it was dawning on patients and
doctors that the silver bullet levadopa was beginning to tarnish.
 Pallidotomy was resurrected.

Dr. Lauri Laitinen in Stockholm was doing pallidotomies before we started
here.  He also started training US neurosurgeons - the first being Dr.
Iacono.

I had a Swedish friend who checked with doctor relatives in Stockholm who
knew of Dr. Laitinen's work and they were very impressed and recommended him
highly.  So I made an appt. and  had a right sided pallidotomy done May 21,
l993.  Bilaterals were not being done then.  Robert Iacono started doing
bilaterals.  Yes, if I had had a choice I would have had both sides done at
once.

The total cost of my pallidotomy was $12,500.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield paid
$6500.  Some insurance companies won't pay for out of country medical bills.

Dr. David Roberts, a neurosurgeon here at Dartmouth is doing pallidotomies
now.  Several friends of mine were done - all successfully to date.  The last
cost I discussed with one friend was a total of $13,000.  Her medical
insurance covered all of it.

A scotoma is a small blind spot in one eye which is caused by getting too
close to the optic nerve with the electric probe.  It only bothers one whilst
reading.  I have never heard of anyone becoming blind and scotomas are rare
since improvements in the pallidotomy procedure.

No, I did not have to wait long - two months - to get the pallidotomy in
1993.  A friend got date the end of May with a call to Dr. Laitinen two weeks
ago - Dr. L. did one side two years ago.  I tried to call Dr. Roberts re his
backlog, but his phone has been busy all afternoon.   Understandable.  Oooops
- just got through - Dr. Roberts is  now scheduling for  May.

You asked me about risk factors - any surgery (even an extracted tooth) is
fraught with danger. The best surgeons cannot foresee a bleed or a stroke.
 It really doesn't happen often.  When I had my pallidotomy the risk for
scotoma was  8% and death was 0.5%  Now scotomas are hardly mentioned.  I
don't know of any deaths.

Keep in mind as you read "all the news that fits" that some patients expect a
pallidotomy to make them whole again - a cure.  That doesn't happen.  You
probably can play golf more comfortably than before, or get in a  canoe
without toppling over, or eat more daintily, or walk less  like the local
drunk, or make a bed without falling into it - -and have a more pleasant
face, and less shaking limbs, and all in all feel better.  If you want a full
head of hair and straight white teeth and be able to dance the fandango -
forget pallidotomy.  It is great but  it is not wonderful.  I take that back
- if you feel like a prisoner in your own body - go for it - you'll feel
wonderful.

Barbara Yacos

******

Sleepless in Seattle:  Did your sleep disorders speaker say why we with
restless leg syndrome (agh!) should eschew dairy products?  Avoiding caffeine
makes sense.

Barb