Claudia's response to my earlier input:
Ron,  Your comments on stress are absolutely symphonic!  What do you
suppose it means about our ability as PD patients to find alternate neural
pathways, and relearn some of our lost functions?  Have you hear about
people correcting micrographia, cognitive deficits, balance, or whatever?
As for the more cosmic aspects, my head is spinning.
inflates my ego a bit.  Since my ego is already great, that may be
anti-beneficial.  Her question does invite my further commenting.

The exercise premise of Mark Hirsch is that specific weight training
procedures do re-train the neural system(s) to improve balance in later
stage PD affected persons.
The training (re-training ?) of stroke victims is at least partially the
manipulation to encourage using whatever cognitive control of affected body
parts ... toward the goal of having the brain recognize the parts as it's
own ... and use the slight connections to re-generate the necessary neural
connections.  The stroke damage is usually brain damage in one region where
blood vessel rupture has changed things.  Recovery from stroke results from
removal of the blood contaminating the brain cells and removal of other
debris; as well as growth of neural connections and repair of the various
neural networks damaged.  Cells made unfunctional may 'commit suicide' and
die, then be re-sorbed into small pieces that the blood carries to the dump
(lower bowel).
The placebo phenomenon is essentially the brain's expectations being
implemented by the advanced chemistry (bio-chemistry beyond our cognitive
ken) within us doing what we expect.
Depression is perhaps the reverse direction cycle of the improvement cycle
of confidence and positive outlook.  Dwelling upon morbid possibilities may
bring depression to the level that one cars not about living.  This
cognitive focus or saturation of negativity may suppress the immune system
and/or allow inactivation of the autonomic system that keeps our many
normal living systems that keep us breathing, heating or cooling, absorbing
nutrients, collecting and discarding waste, et cetera functioning.  It may
even be that dementia is the brain's method of forgetting the morbid
cognition; or, the suicide mechanism of the mammal.  Apoptosis (programmed
nerve cell suicide word label) is an active research area.
Attitude influences whether our response to a voodoo curse is laughter
because we consider it non-real or fear and expectation of the event -
which the brain may even carry out to the extent that a believer cursed to
die dies.
The other extreme of this is cure of cancer via "visualization" of the
process of 'cell killers' seeking out and devouring cancer cells with
expectation of cure bringing this about via the wonderful immune system.
Be spunky and enjoy the process of life by liking and loving your self and
all of this evolving life on spaceship earth.  It is not over 'til we quit.

Ron  <[log in to unmask]> Ronald F. Vetter