Hi

I'm new to the list and thought that I would "listen" for quite awhile, but
Kathi Mitchell's inquiry has
prompted this response.

My father was diagnosed with PD in about 1970.  (It is hard to remember -
but I believe I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time)  He is now 77 years old
in Stage 4 - on.

Just last Thursday, at our quarterly neurologist appt.  I inquired about the
pallidotomy procedure.  We go to University Neurologists at Rush
Presbyterian St. Lukes Medical Center (RPSLMC) in Chicago.  His doctor
(Glantz) has been treating Dad since 1978.

They have done approximately 6-7 procedures recently.  The results have been
mixed.  Too early to tell, no improvement, some improvement, great
improvement, etc.   He would not recommend surgery for my Dad based on age,
and extent of progression.  He totally disagreed with the WSJ article that
also cited "brain damage"  as that is a subjective guess as to the progress
of PD, and with my dad can change from day to day.

Right now, since they are performing a limited number of procedures , they
are using an arbitrary age of "about 70" as a cut off.  He also believes
that the pallidotomy is most effective with patients who experience a large
range of on again, off again symptoms.   My Dad is about the same from day
to day.  My sister who visits once a year see the progression more that my
Mom and I can.

Glantz said he would consider a Stage 3-4 on/off patient as a possible
candidate for surgery.

Kathi, hope this helps and Chicago is certainly closer to Detroit than
Phoenix.  Glantz also said that this is the RPSLMC criteria right now, and
that may change as their experience, success or lack of success etc.
changes.  Other facilities, I'm sure, have different criteria.

(Pretty wordy for my first try.  Yell at me if I over did it!)

Sara Byron

or