Hi Fred,

Aviva's doing great. Thanks for your interest.

She saw her Jerusalem neurologist today for the first time
since her bilateral pallidotomy and he couldn't believe his
eyes. He was sure it would end in tragedy and here Aviva is a
new person with new degrees of mobility and rid of the awful PD
straightjacket. She still has quite a bit of fatigue from the
surgery (and maybe a little jet lag) but as the fatigue
slowly wears off, we see new things she can do. She is also
starting physiotherapy to get rid of bad habits accumulated
during her illness. Today we went for a brisk walk, something
unthinkable before March 1.

Notoriety continues to stalk us. Time Magazine is featuring us
in an article on health and the Internet that should appear in
a week or so. When the reporter, long distance from L.A., asked
Aviva how she felt before her pallidotomy, she said she "wanted
to die." This was the first time I had heard this formulation and
suddenly realized that if I was ignorant of the extent of my own
wife's suffering, how could neurologists be expected to maintain an
awareness of the terrible suffering of PD or understand the importance
of exploring each and every possibility for attaining relief? A Time
photographer was here Thurs. and took some shots including Aviva working
in the garden, etc. Keep your eyes open for it.

Maybe I'll share this with the PD list. There are probably others
curious about Aviva's progress.

Blessings,
David S. Devor
Project Mind Foundation