You wrote:

>I am 48 year old male with PD for 13 yrs(since diagnosed). About 6 yrs
ago
>during annual physical exam with internest/GP, one of  the standard
blood
>screens showed that I was below  the norm in Folic Acid.  Dr. said to
take
> Vit B-12 (100mcg./day) which I do still. To my knowledge this had no
>relationship to my PD, but will ask Dr. at next physical which happens
to be
>in a few weeks.
>
>              Stephen Holahan ([log in to unmask])

Stephen:

Many medications can lower the blood level of folic acid and whatever PD
meds you might be on could be the culprits.  Vitamin B12 is not the same
as folic acid (they work together but are different substances) and
there is a disease, called "pernicious anemia" that is due to a
deficiency of Vitamin B12 (because there is an "intrinsic factor"
missing in the stomach juice for absorption of B12 which is present in
many natural foods).  If one has pernicious anemia, taking Vitamin B12
by mouth is ineffective and it is not absorbed because of the deficiency
in the stomach juice, and it must be given by injection (and the daily
dose is 1000 mcg., not 100 mcg.).  If someone with pernicious anemia
takes folic acid, it can be *dangerous*, as the folic acid will correct
the anemia, but will not stop the neurological degeneration which is the
worst part of pernicious anemia.

I would recommend that you be checked both for folic acid and B12 levels
in your blood.  If the B12 is OK, then you don't need to take the B12.
If the folic acid is still low, then you might consider taking folic
acid, which is present in some over-the-counter vitamin preparations.
Also ask your doctor to check if any of the other medications which you
are taking can "artifically" lower the folic acid level.  Hope this
helps.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"