Dear Gary Z,
 It should be a relief that your father was finally diagnosed after years of
frustrating symptoms.  Perhaps even a blessing, because now at least he has a
range of treatment options.  No one can predict what course Parkinson's will
take.  This fact sometimes causes more stress than anything else.  Everyone
is different.  Better to deal with the present and plan for the future than
worry too much about either.
 My wife's uncle has PD after working in his own chemical lawn service
business for many years.  He was not particularly careful with pesticiedes
despite an engineering background.  My father and grandfather had PD.  They
lived and worked on a dairy farm for many years.  Environmental factors have
been linked to PD but no definitive causation has been proven (besides MPTP).
 Quite a few substances, including metals like aluminum, lead, mercury and
iron have been investigated, but results are inconclusive.  Pesticides and
solvents may be involved.
 Some researchers have found that a higher than normal incidence of familial
PD occurs in 15-20% of cases.  Researchers are investigating possible gene
site abnormalities that may be linked to a higher incidence of PD.
 As children of a parent with PD we have a responsibility to help them.  We
also have a responsibility to make others aware of PD so that we can further
research.  A national, or even local, registry of persons with PD can help us
quantify environmental and hereditary factors so that we can base research on
something more substantial than anecdotal evidence.
 Best of luck to your father and your family on dealing with a difficult
situation.  This board is a step in the right direction.
 Regards,
 Ken Aidekman