Hi!

I'm Chris Hudson - my Dad, William (now [log in to unmask]) is 78 and has had
PD for about 15 years. I think he would be correctly described as at close
to the "fourth level" (as posted here earlier). We just got Dad his own
Windows P.C. and signed up with AOL so he can follow the PARKINSN list
activities himself.

Though he can type OK with his right hand - "mousing" is a bit of a
challenge. Though we found a solution to "double clicking" (which Dad has
great difficulty with), I wonder if any of you have any suggestions as to
where to look on the net, and/or sources for mobility-impaired
Windows/computer operations i.e. a special mouse? (or kids mouse?), big
keyboards? or? or software which you've found useful (unfortunately, Dad's
speech isn't the easiest either so I don't think voice recognition will work
well for him (I've used voice recog. for a quadraplegic application - will
be glad to comment on what I used if anyone wishes it).

Though I've "lurked" on the list for several months getting stuff for Dad
(particularly Pallidotomy - as you might expect!) I don't remember any
exchanges on "tips" for getting around mobility problems operating P.C.'s I
also didn't see much on the CompuServe Disabilities Forum, or anywhere on
the Internet (that I found) for that matter. Perhaps a thread on this might
be of interest?

For starters, there is a new shareware program for Windows which turns the
(usually little used) right mouse button into a "left double click" button.
So, one right click, and apps are launched (or closed) etc.(Perhaps a better
tip would have been for us to get a Mac - but we didn't have a choice). The
author is Steve McCarthy, and the program can be obtained and tried out, as
Steve describes below. (Steve also said he would post the program to
CompuServe's Disabilities forum shortly). If you continue to use it, you
should send Steve $15. (or $20 if by credit card). We only found it
yesterday, but so far it has worked flawlessly.

Info excerpted from Steve's "readme":

"RightOn 2.4    Copyright (c) 1993-1995 by Steven J. McCarthy

     RightOn is a Windows 3.1 utility which allows you to
     program your right and middle mouse buttons to
     behave like the keyboard sending a keystroke to
     an application or as a left-mouse double-click event.

RightOn is now on the World Wide Web!:

     If you have Mosaic, Netscape, Internet in a Box,
     or any other Web browser, point it at URL

            http://www.halcyon.com/sjm/righton.html

     I plan to keep the latest version, as well as bug reports,
     tips, and tricks there.

How to contact the author:

     U.S. Mail:  Steven J. McCarthy
                1733 127th Ave. SE