Bob Archer,

I am also new to the list. My father has Parkinsons and the family is
attempting to find out if he would be a viable candidate for the
pallidotomy.  He is 78 years old and does not have serious tremors but is
terribly insecure on his feet and falls constantly. His speech is affected
and he can no longer write legibly.  His heart, constitution and mental
capacities are very strong.  His current doctor has been less than
enthusiastic about anything but nursing care.

My question is: Who is a candidate for the operation?  Is age a factor? If
patient suffers more inbalance and rigidity than tremors is that
signficant?  I am concerned about the condition of speech after the
operation.  Could someone answer these questions?

Also my father is in Naples, Florida and the daughters are in Boston and
San Francisco areas.  Does anyone know if they are doing these operations
in the area of Naples (west coast of Florida) or should we plan on going to
Boston or Stanford?

Thank you very much
Jill Drohan