          Dear Bob,

          I do not know of any systematic studies that look at the
          effect of pallidotomy on speech.  Now that the popularity of
          pallidotomy has increased so much, I am thinking of
          examining that issue myself.  I'm sorry to hear that your
          mother's speech is worse.

          Speech therapy for Parkinson's disease has waxed and waned
          in popularity, like the pallidotomy!  An article written by
          Martha Taylor Sarno in 1968 (in the _Archives of Physical
          Medicine and Rehabilitation_, vol. 49, pp. 269-275) set the
          stage of despair regarding speech therapy for many years.
          She states that over 300 patients were treated in her
          program over a 15 year period, and "it is our strong
          impression that the speech of these patients does not
          improve with treatment."  However, new techniques and
          approaches are reporting encouraging results that last even
          after therapy has ended (see Ramig, Bonitati, Lemke, &
          Horii, 1994, "Voice treatment for patients with Parkinson
          disease: Development of an approach and preliminary efficacy
          data" in _Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology_,
          vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 191-209.).

          In the case of a patient who has had brain surgery
          (pallidotomy or otherwise), the findings of these studies
          may not apply.  I would strongly encourage your mother to
          have a thorough speech evaluation conducted by a
          speech-language pathologist.  It may be possible to improve
          her speech, but even if it is not, the speech-language
          pathologist can help your mother develop alternate methods
          of communication.  This is so important for her quality of
          life.  Good luck.

          Nancy Pearl Solomon, Ph.D.
          Asst. Research Scientist
          Dept. of Speech Pathology and Audiology, and
          National Center for Voice and Speech
          University of Iowa