Drug pricing was the topic of our monthly PD support group here in
Detroit.  The agenda began with remarks about the social
responsibility of corporations, in this instance, the drug companies.
A particular example was a description of the pricing of eldpryl
after its approval in the US.

We then looked at summary findings about the pharmaceutical industry
published by the Special Committee on Aging for the 101st Congress
and concerns about drug pricing brought to the 103rd Congress.  A
very recent article in the NYTimes said that after some time in which
the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Assoc. advertised a voluntary
holding of the line on prices it appears they will move upwards
again.

There was a commitment to look into some of the recent developments
in the industry, e.g., the effect of pharmaceutical mergers and
alliances, sometimes in seeming unusual combinations, on drug prices.
 We saw how things like the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
with its stipulations on intellectual property have an impact on what
we will pay for PD meds.

The second part of the meeting made use of some recent comments on
pallidotomy from the papers and from the valuable contributions of
people on this list.

I express my thanks to Barbara and to many people who make this list
so good.

Pat McManamon
Pat McManamon  [log in to unmask]
438 St. Antoine