Dear Friend:

I would not like to think of PD as an occupational illness, but my husband,
a victim of PD and diagnosed in 1985, was also a professor before his
retirement.  He retired early (in 87, I think I remember this right) because
he was not strong enough to stand before a classroom any longer, and because
the symptoms were not completely controllable with Sinemet).   We have three
grown sons who are very helpful to us; both they, our two daughters-in-law,
and our two grandsons are impacted by my husband's illness, mostly in the
form of accommodating his schedule for family events, and in other ways.  If
you do study the impact on families on this kind of degenerative disability,
it would be a significant contribution, and I believe you would find this
network very helpful in adding to your store of knowledge.

k.

>I'm a new member of the Network.  I have been diagnosed with PD for four
>years.  My main symptoms are a tremor in my right hand (which is
>controlled fairly well by Sinemet and Eldepryl), insomnia, and
>tiredness.  I have some loss of balance.
>    I am 48 years old and an assistant professor in the Department of
>Counseling and Guidance.  Coincidentally, my professional interest has
>been in the effects of crisis and trauma on families.  I have some
>interest in researching the impact of PD on family members of victims.
>    I find it interesting that a colleague in the same department (12
>faculty) has developed PD in the past year.  Her primary symptoms are
>tremors in her arm and leg on one side and tiredness.
>    I appreciate the availability of this Network.

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300