The multitude of people using the Internet, and the consequent multitude of
different computer systems and programs involved in the chain is one of the
great things about the Internet.  Unfortunately, it also causes lots of
annoying problems, for example those when posting and receiving messages.
Your messages are transmitted through goodness-knows how many different
computer systems before they finally reach any particular recipient.  Each
system the message passes through may modify it slightly, depending on how
it handles characters it does not recognize.

The best solution is to use the "lowest common denominator" in composing
your messages.  MS Word has lots of nifty features that make your documents
look great (I use it myself in my work).  For example, Word can be set up
to replace double quotes " with "smart quotes," typesetter-style quotation
marks that curve one way for the opening quotes, and another way for the
closing quotes.  It looks nice, but can't be interpreted by lots of
computers on the Internet.

Proportionally-spaced fonts look great, but are dangerous on the Internet
too, since many monitors only allow fixed-spaced text characters (VT100's
and VT220's to name two).  These terminals' display looks like what you
get on a PC at a regular DOS prompt, and they don't "do Windows".

The best way for you to compose messages that will experience the lease
amount of wierdness when they are received is to use a very simple text
editor to compose your messages.  In Windows, I'd say to use the Notepad
application.  In DOS, use the Edit application.  The don't let you make
text bold or use fancy fonts or characters or anything like that.  With
Word, it might be doing lots of strange things, and you may not even be
aware of it.  If you're really attached to your word processor, use the
option to save your document as text (variously called "text", "ASCII
text", "Text with Formatting", or something like that, but usually
includes the word "text").

As long as the margins are not too wide (I'd use a line length of 75
characters or less) and the plain text version of your message is
formatted as you want it to look, it should survive the transfer to most
systems.

Hope this can help some of you, and didn't bore those who knew it already!

  :-)

 Gary Zimmerman  Technical Writer  ||
 Internet:  [log in to unmask]  || _I'm_ an individual too.