>Dear Barbara,
>         Could you tell me why my postings occasionally have unintended line
>breaks in the middle of words.  Also, when I use quotations marks they do not
>show up.
>        In the following posting there are unintended breaks in the fourth line
>in the 20th line , in the  41 st line, an unintended space break in the 442nd
>line , and an unintended break in the 52nd line.
>        I do my messages in Microsoft Word and transfer it via the clipboard in
>my Compu-Serve - Create Mail.
>        ?????????

Whever you prepare messages in a program other than the one intended for sending
  it, you
will find incompatabilities.  I used to do the same thing with America Online.
 Here are
a couple tips.

   Use a fixed-spaced font like Courier and type a line of 80-characters like th
 is one:
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

Look at your Microsoft Word ruler and notice where the last character lines up.
  (You
might have to use a smaller font size to get all the characters to appear on one
 -line)
Finally, when you type your messages, make sure you hit return at the end of eac
*before* you get to that point on your ruler.

About the quotation marks.  You are probably using curly quotes where the quotat
 ion
marks slant in a particular direction.  You can temporarily disable MS Word's us
 e of
curly quotes by setting up a tool-bar button for that purpose.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Jeffrey S. Kaye                                   [log in to unmask]
Eugene, Oregon, USA                   http://www.efn.org/~jskaye

  Check out the Parkinson's Disease Information Center at...
          http://www.efn.org/~jskaye/pd/index.html