You wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Mar 1995, Robert Fink wrote:
>

>> Seth:
>>
>> Indeed I do; I have read most of them.  They were done, mostly, in
>> collaboration with a R. Sandyk (since 1988) and are all published in
>> journal called the International Journal of Neurosciences, which is
>> edited by Dr. Sandyk.
>
>i was wondering why they were all in the same journal.
>
> BTW, it is not "magnetic fields", it is
>> "electromagnetic radiation" (very low levels), the same stuff that
runs
>> in high-tension electrical lines.  This research is not considered
>> "mainstream" and it appears that the only journal which has accepted
>> this work is Dr. Sandyk's journal.
>> The older articles praise this approach for multiple sclerosis,
>> Alzheimer's disease, and other conditions as well as PD.  Most of the
>> articles are based on one or two patients ("case reports").  What I
>> don't understand is why is it that, if EMF (electromagnetic
radiation)
>> is so good and so "non-invasive", why one would consider using an
>> "invasive" technique such as pallidotomy?
>>
>so no one has done any trials with this? it would be nice if there was
>more information. the case reports in the abstracts sound very nice.
>is there any possibility at all that it can cause harm?
>

>---
>
>Seth L. Ness                         Ness Gadol Hayah Sham

Seth:

EMF radiation has been implicated in the causation of cancer (in people
who live around high-voltage lines).  There was even a thing a few years
ago about the use of portable cellular phones (which radiate
electromagnetic energy when they are turned on and more when they are
transmitting).  I personally feel that such things represent an
exaggeration; but, some years ago, when I was in the market for a new
house, I rejected one because it was close to some high-tension lines.

The levels of EMF in the Sandyk articles were very low; probably too low
to do any harm; but probably also too low to to any "good" either.  What
concerns me about these articles is that Dr. Sandyk has moved to a
number of facilities (some university-affiliated and others not)
frequently, and the addresses listed in the more current articles are
those of a proprietary business apparently dedicated to "research" in
this area and not affiliated with a major academic medical center. The
only other "harm" that such could bring is the building of "false hope".

You might wish to check around and see if you can find any other
information concerning Dr. Sandyk (I am told that he is truly an M. D.);
his first name is Reuven and I suspect that he is, as you apparently
are, Israeli; so you might be able to find out something by that
approach.

I have reprints of most of the Sandyk articles at my office (hard copy);
and if you will send me a snail mail address, I can send them to you.
Good luck.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"