Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:55:28 EST
From: [log in to unmask] (MR ROBERT A MARTONE)
Subject: Test that detects PD early

This just came across on Prodigy.  Anybody have any more detail about
it?                     Test Developed For Parkinson's
   TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- A new test for Parkinson'sdisease can detect
symptoms in the earliest stages,before the disease has damaged the
brain enough toseriously impair speech and movement, researcherssay.
   The test measures the speed of wrist movement,the sense of smell and
the level of depression --three areas affected early in the stages of
theneurological disease. The symptoms often aredismissed or
misdiagnosed as aging or mood swings.
   ``We know there are many patients whose symptomsare not recognized,
who are not being diagnosed andnot getting treated,'' said Dr. Erwin
Montgomery ofthe University of Arizona, an expert on Parkinson'swho
developed the test with Dr. William Koller ofthe University of Kansas.
   ``By the time most people have obvious symptoms,we know that they
have lost 80 percent of theirneurons,'' he said.
   An estimated 500,000 to 1 million Americans haveParkinson's disease,
which robs people of controlover their movements, senses and mood. The
diseaseresults from the death of brain cells that producethe chemical
dopamine, which controls nerveimpulses.
   In a survey of 93 patients, Montgomery found ittook a year for 22
percent to be diagnosed, twoyears for 8 percent. The new test was 90
percentaccurate on 100 patients.
   A drug is now available to slow Parkinson's,putting ``tremendous
pressure on us now to diagnosethe disease as early as we can,'' said
Montgomery,who recently presented the results at aninternational
neurological society meeting inSeattle.
   ``I think it's exciting,'' said Dr. Ray Watts, aneurologist with
Emory University in Atlanta.``That combination of tests is certainly
rationalbased on what's known. They may prove useful in aclinical
setting.''
Copied from the PRODIGY(R) service 03/30/95 18:41
Bob Martone [log in to unmask]