----Wendy Tebay said:  (regarding magnetic fields)
> me to be a useful/effective therapy, and I personally feel reducing one's emf
> exposure, rather than adding to it, to be prudent.  Years ago people in Russia

Wendy,

  Thank you for the information on the holistic e-mail list.  I was
not aware of this discussion going on.  I would like to make it clear that a
magnetic field generated from a permanent magnet has some properties
that are different from an EMF field.  Applying a magnetic field
is not increasing one's exposure to an EMF.  A magnetic field
generated from a permanent magnet is static, it is in a stable,
balanced state.  A similar field could be generated by a constant
Direct Current (DC) conducted through a wire. I believe some
therapeutic devices exist that use a pulsed DC magnetic field.  The
magnetic field generated from this means would always maintain the
same polarity field, but the field strength would shift from an on
state to an off state and so on and so forth.

  An EMF (electro-magnetic field) on the other hand is an unstable
magnetic field which cycles from negative polarity to positive polarity
and back repeatedly.  An EMF is generated by an alternating current (AC).

  Allow me to make some hypothetical assumptions:  The pineal gland
is found to be responsive to magnetic fields.  Assuming that
everything in our body responds/functions in a certain way for a
specific purpose, why would this hormone producing gland respond to a
magnetic field?  And if it does respond to magnetic fields how would
it be affected by a magnetic field in the natural environment?  Well
the earth has a magnetic field.  The earth's magnetic field is of the
DC variety, it is not an EMF. Lets assume the pineal gland
was designed to respond to the earths magnetic field (remember this
is just my rambling theorizing) the stable, DC type of field (for
what purpose I could not guess, although one function of the gland is
the production of melatonin).  What would be its response when
exposed to a shifting EMF, AC type of magnetic field?  How many DC
appliances work properly when you plug them into an AC power source?

  Now, are there possible harmful effects that can be found from
exposing one's self to a permanent magnetic field? In the short term I
guess there must be no harm since MRI machines utilize strong magnetic
fields.  What are potential long term affects?  I have been sleeping
on a mattress and pillow which have magnets in them for about 4 1/2
years now.  I personally have not found any ill affects to date.  If
there is any long term hazards I'll let you know in 20 years.

   One difference I have found is that my body must be becoming
conditioned to the field.  Before being introduced to the mattress I
would normally sleep about 8 hours a night.  Sleeping on the magnetic
mattress I found that I was fully rested in about 6 1/2 hours.  This
was an initial concern of mine since I thought that I had to have 8
hours of sleep.  Now, I find my sleeping time increasing so that it
is closer to 8 hours again.

  Another difference I personally have found is that my frequency of
dreams (or at least those that I can remember) is decreased.  When I
go to sleep, I am sound asleep until I awake.  I do however have an
occational restless night but I attribute it more to having something
on my mind that I cannot stop thinking about.

  These are my own experiences.  I know of others that have
experienced similar results.  And, I know of others that have noticed
no such results.  Why the difference I have no idea.   I have noticed
that people with lower blood pressure seem to be less receptive to
feeling anything when lying on the mattress.  Others will lie on the
mattress and tell about feeling a tingling sensation over their body
(this is my reaction to lying on the mattress)

  Anyway, this is enough on the subject and unless there are specific
questions raised which I can answer I'm through with this discussion.

All the best,
jim
Jim Clements                                   email: [log in to unmask]
Total Health Marketing                    ph. 801/553-8716   fax 801/553-1606
Nikken Independent Distributors     http://www.xmission.com/~total/health.html