Hi. My name is Harris Meyer. I'm a reporter for the American Medical News, a
weekly newspaper that goes out to doctors. I'm writing in the next few days
about the controversy over the surgery for Parkinson's patients called
pallidotomy. I would love to get responses from patients and/or family
members on the following topics:

-- Is this operation being offered in your area?

-- Have you undergone this operation, or are you considering it?

-- How did you hear about the operation?

-- What kind of results did you get from the operation, or what kind of
results have you heard other patients are getting?

--Are you or other patients having any trouble getting health insurers to pay
for this operation?

-- If it's being offered in your area, how experienced are the local
neurosurgeons with it? How are they doing it -- through electrophysiological
mapping, or through stereotactic guidance (via MRI or CT scans and grids)? Is
it being done as part of a study?

-- Are you comfortable that the operation has been well enough established
scientifically and that it's safe and effective? Does the issue of scientific
acceptance matter to you?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to this request.

Harris Meyer    American Medical News    ([log in to unmask])