    I can give you no advice, but your message confirms what I have
always suspected would happen if the writing proficiency
programme at Bishop's started actively and openly pushing for an
official wac programme.
    Instead, we have sneaked in an unofficial wac or wid (writing
in the disciplines) option (don't you just love these silly
acronyms).  Students who have not passed the ewp exemption credit exam
(really the university writing test) and who are supposed to take a
writing course are given permission by us (me) to work on their
writing through their course work (if any).  The students are
supposed to take in some of their drafts to the Writing Centre for
consultation.  At the end of the semester or at the beginning of the
next one, students still have to either pass the ewp exam or take the
ewp course (a basic academic writing course) the following semester
(or often we make some other bargain).
    It has worked very well for those students who are interested.
The faculty is informed, but, with a few exceptions, are not keen to
participate in an active way, apart from sending us students.
Everyone is so busy with their own stuff.  The EWP Senate committee
to whom I report likes our quiet approach.  We do of course advertise
etc. in student bulletins and on our local network.
    But what seems to work for us may not work at other institutions.

Good luck, Mieke.