AAGH!(That was a primal scream)  I am getting the run-around in my
efforts to get some clear administrative commitment to WAC.  I need
some hard evidence.
    I understand that at the Univ. of Toronto, Simon Fraser, and
Laurentian leadership for WAC comes from the Writing Centre.  Am I
correct?  Are there other universities out there that have a similar
set-up?
    I am proposing an official WAC committee, chaired by the
supervisor of the Writing Lab, composed of 5
representative(interested, committed) faculty members, plus
Writing Lab instructors, reporting directly to the academic vice-
president. Any comments on that plan?  This group would reconsider
what constitutes a writing intensive course, designate writing
intensive courses(in consultation with faculty desiring to teach
these courses), and plan writing workshops for faculty.
    Writing Lab instructors will continue doing what they have been
doing:  one-on-one (non-remedial) appointments with students,
consulting with faculty, leading workshops, hopefully teaching an
upper level comp course,etc.
    After months of reports, meetings, consultations we seem
to be worse off that we were when we started, because we have called
attention to ourselves and therefore opened ourselves to
criticism(the goal of which, I believe, is to justify not coming up
with any MONEY).
    AAGH!
                    Roberta Lee