This is my first posting...am a bit nervous about, so please forgive if
the prose isn't sufficiently respectable for the net...I noticed that a
disembodied voice called Kenna asked about "First they arrested the
Communists" ; that's by Pastor Martin Niemoller (I'm afraid I don't
have the source), and continues as follows:  "In Germany they first
came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because
I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the
Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.  Then
they came for me -- and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Two comments about the WAC discussion raised by Cathy Schryer:  1. Why
is this a discussion about a Canadian concern being schedule for
airing at an American conference?  2. Although many universities do
not require introductory writing courses and thus have little in
the way of a composition curriculum, nearly all community colleges
do...perhaps it might be valuable to hear from others who work in
institutions that deal with the (often) marginalized and non-BA-
bound student...are there any other community college teachers on
this list?  rick.