                     SOCIETY FOR LATE ANTIQUITY
The  "Shifting  Frontiers in Late Antiquity" Conference, held  at  the
University of Kansas March 23-26, attracted over 75 participants  from
eight  countries.   During  the final discussion  it  was  universally
agreed  that  the tradition of such meetings needed to  continue,  and
that it would be worthwhile to identify additional ways of  exchanging
information  about  the many facets of the study  of  Late  Antiquity.
Future conferences on other thematic themes relating to Late Antiquity
already  have been tentatively scheduled.  The group also initiated  a
collaborative  effort with the European "Transformation of  the  Roman
World" program.  Other suggestions included the creation of a  Society
for Late Antiquity and the distribution of a hard-copy newsletter  fo-
cusing on Late Antiquity that would complement the electronic  discus-
sions on the LT-ANTIQ discussion list.
What  we would like to do now is to ascertain the degree  of  interest
that  there is in initiating a loosely affiliated  group,  a  "Society
for  Late Antiquity", of those interested in furthering the  study  of
Late  Antiquity as very broadly conceived.  So we ask those who  would
be interested in participating in, or even organizing, future  confer-
ences on Late Antiquity, or who would like to receive a Late Antiquity
newsletter, or who have other ideas about cooperative endeavors of this
nature, please to contact either Ralph Mathisen, [log in to unmask]
SCAROLINA.EDU  (EMail),  or Hagith Sivan, Dept. of History,  Univ.  of
Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66044 (snail mail).  Please  include  both  EMAIL
and snail mail addresses.  Thank you.
For those of you who would like to join the Late Antiquity  discussion
list, the address is [log in to unmask]  and the com-
mand is SUBSCRIBE LT-ANTIQ first-name last-name.
N.B. This posting is being made to several lists that deal with ancient
and medieval history; our apologies for duplication to those of you sub-
scribed to several  lists.  Cross postings to other relevant lists  not
on the master list are welcome.