Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 22:51:49 EST
From: [log in to unmask] (MR ROBERT A MARTONE)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Office visit Pallidotomy - Blue Glasses

To List members,

Today we visited Nancy s  neurologist to begin our journey toward a
pallidotomy for Nancy. The visit was slightly different than usual as
the doctor had a delightful new nurse who showed a nice balance of
office manner and humor. After the usual BP, Pulse rate what meds are
you taking etc., we dove into our request for the doctor to initiate
the referral of Nancy for a Pallidotomy. (Nancy is 50 years old, has
had PD for 17 years, suffers major on off swings and significant
dyskinesia from her meds.) He was up to speed on the WSJ and the NYT
articles and thought the NYT article was well done and presented the
proper perspective on the risks of pallidotomy. After the expected
cautions including those about Dr. Iacona s failure to publish his
results, the media frenzy and the capitalistic way the procedure is
being promoted, we convinced him that we were serious and now needed
his help to push this through our HMO provider so that we could begin
the search for the  right  neurosurgeon, team, and procedure that would
ultimately benefit Nancy.

During this dialogue, Nancy was very dyskinetic, a point which was
being duly noted by all three of us. Spontaneously I suggested to Nancy
that she put on her blue glasses which she did with some difficulty.
The doctor observed with a passing interest as we tried to continue our
pallidotomy discussion. But WE WERE DIVERTED. In less than 30 seconds
the dyskenisia that was actual generating some sympathy for Nancy s
decision for the Pallidotomy had virtually stopped. I turned to the
doctor and said amazing isn t it. He said YEAH ???  Does that happen
often?  I said yes,  Nancy said no. So I described that what he and I
had just undeniably witnessed though our visual experience was not
always shared by Nancy in what she felt. However on this occasion Nancy
too acknowledged that the dyskenisia  had subsided so much that she
felt the tranquilizing effect of the blue glasses.

 I of course feel much better in reporting my observations to you
regarding the blue glasses because a very skeptical observer also
validated what I have reported twice before on this listserver. It does
seem to work. Not all the time and not yet with total predictability
but at this point not much is predictable except the progressive
degeneration caused by the PD.

Back to the pallidotomy, the neurologist will consult with our primary
care physician and make the referral for the pallidotomy. As we move
forward, if there is much interest from the list members, we will share
our progress.

PS  During our last visit, I shared some material from the server with
the Doctor. He now has obtained an internet account and will be reading
our postings and hopefully start participating.

-----
Bob & Nancy Martone [log in to unmask]
-----