Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 07:26:00 -0400
From: judith guttman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      Re: re medications

I trust Worst Pills Best Pills because its writers do not
benefit from the drug industry (unlike most physicians and
many drug reference books). Worst Pills Best Pills is one
of the few sources that is willing to say that some drugs
are bad drugs. It is my experience that there are bad
drugs. I am relieved to find a source that is not afraid
to say so.
I have had too much experience with doctors who don't know
enough about the drugs they prescribe or who don't take
the trouble to check for possible interactions (my
daughter almost died from this kind of incompetence).
Frankly, I never fill a prescription any more until I look
a drug up. Worst Pills, Best Pills always gives
alternatives to the drug it repudiates; it also gives
reasons, and medical journal citations for its judgments
(more than most doctors are willing to do when
questioned). If a doctor is willing to take the time to
show me, using citations and sharing whole medical journal
articles, if necessary, that his/her opinion is right, I'm
ready to listen.
Until then, I'll stick with the books.
Older people with Parkinsons, especially, usually have
other problems, too, and my experience is that there are
few medical people flexible enough and willing enough to
take the time to think through the whole of the person and
prescribe in terms of quality of life instead of knee jerk
prescribing for a symptom at a time.
Since doctors won't do it, I research drugs, cross check
against what my Mom is already taking, ask questions and
make counter proposals. I know I don't know enough; I
still think I probably get a more comprehensive and
cautious view than the doctors we have had. If I sound mad
I am.
By the way, I live in Washington DC where we are supposed
to have a terrific medical system--as terrific is defined
in this country.
<---- Begin Included Message ---->