    I was diagnosed with PD two years ago, but have just started
taking sinemet, after two years of just eldepryl.  My symptoms
are still fairly mild, and only slightly more advanced than two
years ago, but my neurologist told me I'd feel a lot better with
the sinemet, so I thought I'd try it.  I think that based on what
he said, I was expecting a "Popeye and spinach" effect, but
after two weeks on sinemet 25-100, I notice only small changes,
and I'm not even sure about those.  My balance certainly seems
better -- getting in and out of chairs is a lot easier.  That
seems to be the biggest change.  I think my foot-dragging, lack
of armswing, and difficulty putting my sweater on are better,
but I'm not sure.  Other people tell me I seem more animated,
even those who didn't know I'd started sinemet.  I also have some
side effects.  I know that most of you on this network have used
sinemet a lot longer than me, so I thought I'd ask some
questions:

1) Is my response to sinemet fairly typical?

2) One of my side effects is nausea, especially in the morning.
I'm taking 3 pills a day, with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I
sometimes get nausea about 30 minutes after taking the morning
pill, sometimes also after the others.  Any suggestions?  Should
I take it before, during, or after the meal?  (My neurologist
suggests before; he also said I might try taking half the pill
before, and half after.)

3) Here's the weird side effect.  I have twice noticed a sharp,
volatile, chemical smell after taking sinemet.  It didn't happen
with every breath, just every few minutes, but it lasted for
several hours.  The first time it happened I asked my neurologist
if it could be a smell hallucination, and he said that would be
rare.  It happened again about 10 days later.  (By the way, I asked
other people I was with if they noticed the smell, and they said
no.)  Could it be that I'm smelling a breakdown product of the
drug?  Or could it be a smell hallucination caused by the drug?
Has anyone else noticed this?

Charlie Barasch ([log in to unmask])
Plainfield, VT