     Been lurking for months with special interest in anything related to
     Shy-Drager Syndrome.  I go away on vacation and I come back to find
     discussion underway on Shy-Dragers.  My interest stems from
     coordinating the Rare Disorder Network and being a part of the
     Autonomic Dysfunction Center at the  General Clinical Research Center
     at Vanderbilt University.  Generally I am in agreement with Mike's
     description of Shy-Drager; but it has been my experience that person's
     effected with Shy-Drager Syndrome (SDS) remain very articulate.  The
     speech of a person with Shy-Drager is eventually effected but
     mentally, the person's I've met, have been fine.  Those who either
     have SDS or have family members with SDS may want to explore support
     options such as the Shy-Drager Support Group.  This is a national
     support group founded by Ms. Dorothy Trainor-Kingsbury who lives in
     Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Her husband suffered from the disease.  The
     support group has a annual meeting with guest speakers and this year
     some local meetings are planned as well.  Then there is the SDS
     Advocate, a newsletter for all persons interested in Shy-Drager
     syndrome and related disorders.  Its purpose is to provide news,
     information, support and encouragement for people living with SDS.
     The newsletter was started by family members of persons with SDS.

     >Dorothy Trainor-Kingsbury
     >Shy-Drager Syndrome Support Group
     >1607 Silver Avenue S.E.
     >Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
     >1-800-SDS-4999 or 505-243-5118

     >SDS Advocate
     >P.O. Box 211
     >Hartford, WI 53027
     >Editors: Tara M. Fettig and Nancy Mansavage

     I hope this information will be helpful.

     Sylvia

     Sylvia Dickinson, R.N., M.S.N.
     Coordinator, Rare Disorder Network
     GCRC, AA-3223 Medical Center North
     Vanderbilt University Medical Center
     Nashville, Tennessee 37232-2195
     e-mail: [log in to unmask]
     Phone: 1-800-428-6626     Fax 615-343-8649