ELECTRONIC MUSCLE STIMULATOR (EMS)
     Does anyone have information on research programs which have used EMS to
restore musculature and cardiovascular fitness?
     EMS has been used by our US Olympic power lifters to increase strength.
 It works by passing electric current across the muscles causing a
contraction of the muscle.  Thin electrically conducting pads, similar to
what is used to make an EKG of  the heart, are placed across specific muscle
groups followed by the application of a controlled electrical stimulus. The
resulting contraction is more complete than would normally be possible, even
for a trained athlete.
     I, (John M. Kulick), have a theory that restoring muscularity will delay
or help prevent some of the adverse effects of Parkinsons or Muscular
Dystrophy.  I feel this way for the following reasons:
     1. It is important to be physically active to maintain health.  As the
number of muscles able to function decrease, it becomes increasingly
difficult to work the heart and achieve cardiovascular fitness.  There is a
proven relationship showing that increased fitness decreases the risk of many
types of cancer, heart attacks, strokes, being overweight, sexual
performance, emotional well being, etc.
     2. Muscles that are not enervated die.  If the nerve that  fires a
muscle is destroyed, the muscle will disappear.  This  is a concern in that
if a cure is found, it may become impossible to regain muscular control
because the muscle ceases to exist.
     3. Perhaps there is a two way communication between muscle  growth and
nerve growth.  Body builders increase the number of muscles in the body by
stressing the muscles, nerves must grow the enervate the muscle.  Could the
growth of muscle tissue stimulate the growth of nerves to fire the muscle?
 Is such growth just within the muscle or does control of the new nerve
extend into the brain.?
     Any one with information about EMS research please respond.

                                      THANKS JOHN KULICK
                                             AND JOE IMPERIALE