I've seen a lot on this list regarding pallidotomies, with results ranging
from potentially bad effects, to no effect, to near total relief from
symptoms.

One thing I haven't heard about, though, is the post pallidotomy prognosis
of patients for whom the operation was a success.  Maybe that was covered
in one of the recent articles, or maybe it's just too soon to tell.  I keep
hearing the admonition that even though the surgery can potentially relieve
symptoms, *it's not a cure*, but just what does that mean?  The CNS
continues to be low in dopamine, but the cells that were sensitive to the
resulting overstimulation are destroyed by the surgery.  Are other cells
eventually affected by the lack of dopamine?  Do the symptoms (or new,
different symptoms) eventually come back as the disease progresses?

 Gary Zimmerman  Technical Writer  ||
 Internet:  [log in to unmask]  || _I'm_ an individual too.