Greetings from Boone, NC

The Charlotte Observer this morning, April 3, 1995, reports that Duke
University neurologist, Allen Roses, whose theory about a gene for
Alzheimer's disease is gaining support, is now launching a search for a
gene that causes PD. Charlotte neurologist Fred Allen, director of the
Metrolina Memory Center at Carolina Neurological Clinic is among the
researchers at seven sites across the country who will be helping Roses
find Families affected with PD.

The public can participate by encouraging their own or other families to
search for multiple patients with PD.  Two families have been found in
the Charlotte area.

To start the study, researchers must find families with at least two
blood relatives who have PD or are suspected of having it.  Siblings with
PD or a parent and child with PD would be the best examples to show
genetic linkages, Allen said, but any PD patient with one or more
relatives with the disease is invited to participate.

Blood samples will be taken from each patient; DNA will be compared for
similarities.  Detailed genetic histories will be collected from each
family.  Participation is voluntary, free, and confidential and does not
replace or interfere with ongoing medical care.

"If a gene is found at least partly responsible for PD, we might hope to
identify these people before symptoms occur and perhaps postpone or
conceivably prevent the appearance of the disease," Allen said.  "It is
too soon to give any estimates at this point."

By the time PD symptoms appear, doctors have found that 80% of the brain
cells that produce dopamine are already gone.  That's one reason
researchers are pushing to find the cause of PD so that it can be
prevented.

"There are several teams that are looking for the gene,"
 said Dinah Orr, executive director of the PD Foundation in NY.  "There's
fierce competition, I think I could say, which is not bad at all. The
Current thinking is that there's probably some susceptibility factor
that's inherited.  If they can identify a gene, then, of course, we need
to identify the environmental trigger.... It's fascinating what's going on."

For information or to volunteer, write:

Linda Ingle, Metrolina Memory Center
1001 Blythe Blvd., Suite 601
Charlotte, NC 28203

or Call her at 344-1925 or 377-9323   9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays or leave
a message on the answering machine.

I have enjoyed your communications through this list and wish you all
well.  As for our situation, I am happy to report that Mom hasn't fallen
since the Christmas disaster and is doing well.  The new neurologist in
Salem, Oregon has questioned her diagnosis of 18 months ago and is reducing
her Sinemet dosage.  So far no bad results.  We are hoping her symptoms
are simply the results of small strokes as shown on the MRI.

Spring comes slowly to the mountains, but we are enjoying the occasional
previews. Enjoy every day and all the good you can find it. My thoughts
are with you.

Melony Winkelmann