> To: [log in to unmask]
> From: [log in to unmask] (Christopher A. Hudson)
> Subject: Re: "assist" for Windows "mousing"
> Cc: [log in to unmask]
>
> Inda,
>
> Thanks very much for your thoughts on the mouse, etc. Your suggestions are
> perfectly timed - as I will be trying to see how my Dad is able to use a
> simple word processor (Windows Write) this weekend. We will also install the
> MicroSoft ACCP.EXE keyboard assists suggested by Howard Koster. One thing
> that seems to have helped a bit is using a bigger display - a 15" flat
> screen one (CTX 1565GM) instead of 14". Might not seem much difference (one
> inch) but the cursor is much easier to see - as well as the text. I guess I
> would suggest to anyone starting out - get the 15", or 17" if you can afford
 it.

> Regards
> Chris

Sounds like you are on a positive track.  We use "monster fonts", run the
apps maximized, and have dinkered around with the colors to make things more
visible.  We had an odd problem with the larger screens: ergonomically,
(according to our friendly neighborhood industrial hygenicist) your eyes are
supposed to be level with the upper part of the screen, so that you look across
and maybe down but never up. This is particularly important for people who
wear bifocals.  Mother is so short that we couldn't get the table down low
enough without messing up her kneeroom!

Mother has settled on Windows Write after trying some other programs:  it
suits her needs and can be run almost mouse-less.  The only function that
seems to require mousing is selection for cut/copy+paste (if you figure out
that one, please let me know).

I am going to experiment with ACCP.EXE before trying it out on her.  I have
used something similar in the workstation world for people who feel they are
at risk for RSI problems.

The best thing about all of this is that Mother, who has studiously avoided
the technical side of the world her whole life, is enthusiastic and happy
about the idea of having control over her correspondence again.  She is
even teaching her helper.  My husband says he would NEVER have predicted
this development and my bother-in-law, down from Vancouver last week, was
"blown away".  She now wants Internet!  so, you guys may be hearing from
another Immega online shortly.

Viel Glueck!

Inda
Inda Immega, Pecten International Co., Houston, TX      [log in to unmask]
======C=o=m=p=u=t=e=r===A=i=d=e=d===I=n=t=e=r=p=r=e=t=a=t=i=o=n=======