4/13/95

Dear Dorothy Joan Burnett,

My wife, Aviva, on the usual medications, used to black out two
or three times a week. Sometimes more. We never knew whether to
attribute it to cerebellar atrophy, low blood pressure or what.
Aviva's blackouts were seldom longer than a few short seconds
but this was often enough to bring her down and did cause lots
of bruises and a broken bone or two over the last couple of
years.

I am pleased to say that, as of her bilateral pallidotomy on
March 1, the fainting spells have not recurred even though she
still tires quickly from normal household tasks. I figure she'll
need another month to bounce back completely from the double
procedure. Instead of sleeping 22 hours a day which she did for
the days immediately following the surgery, Aviva now seems to
need no more than about 10 hours with rests during the day. She
figures she'll be back driving in a week or two, something she
hasn't dared do for almost 2 years. Among the many blessings
that have come out of this pallidotomy (performed by Dr. Iacono
of Loma Linda) is that Aviva now sleeps very well which she
hasn't done for a couple of years. Physiotherapy is helping her
build on some of her gains including walking, speech and
balance. Her local neurologist is still having trouble digesting
it all.

Aviva's a little worried that she hasn't got her full stamina back
yet. Anybody else take a long time to bounce back from pallidotomy?

Blessings,
David S. Devor