Dear Alan,

Thanks for the reply to my comments. Glad someone out there is taking
the time to respond.

The current thinking in PT is that rigidity MAY be worsened with
strength training. There have been no studies to validate this
HYPOTHESIS. To me it seems almost like a tradeoff between the benefits
of exercise and the drawbacks of exercise. Strength training will
increase strength in PD (not published yet) and this may help to
prevent falling or , at least, greatly decrease the odds of falling.
Strength training may also increase rigidity. I'd like to know if it
does! And I'm sure so would many other people. The problem with the
PT's is that they are conservative in their interpretation of western
medicine and they do not easily experiment with new ways of viewing a
solution to a problem. In my opinion, PD is not just a CNS condition,
but also a problem that has to do with the peripheral systems. We know
very well that athletes who train with weights can produce a great
period of muscular relaxation following a workout. Maybe this will
also work for PD persons...relaxation following a hard workout.

PD has been called the "falling sickness". The ability to control
balance is, in part, also due to muscle strength. The more strength an
individual has the greater corrections can be made and the less errors
are made (where an error = a fall). Healthy fallers have marked losses
in ankle strength, and knee flexion and extension strength. Persons
with PD also show reductions in strength as compared to age-matched
healthy persons. Persons with Pd are not as accurate at making
judgements of their postural sway, perceiving smaller limits of
stability than their actual stability limits. It remains to be seen
to what extent persons with PD can benefit from strength training and
to what extent balance can be altered through strength training.

It seems that persons who remain active throughout their PD outlive
persons who are sedentary. The type and quantity of activity necessary
to sustain a high-quality life, independent and autonomous, remains to
be seen. Unfortunately only 8% of all adults exercise on a regular
basis. The percentage of persons with PD who exercise on a regular
basis must thus be immeasurably small.