This is in response to J. R. Newbrough & tangential to Stephen Holahan:

  According to the experts at Graduate Hospital, Philadelphia, the sense of
smell is not affected by Sinemet therapy.  This has been repeated and
referenced to itself several times. We on the cold end of the stethocope
often know better than the experts. I took the Univ. of Pennsylvania Smell
Identification Test (UPSIT) and although it seemed quite naive to me is the
gold [all that glittters..read pot metal] stadard for olfactory testing.
 Smell technology is lagging.

In my case, I have no automatic awareness of being "on" following a Sinemet
dose such as a "rush" feeling mentioned primarily by neurologists. I can tell
when I am "on" automatically by becoming aware of certain smells. [Motor
skills are determined by whether I can perform a certain task or not-- not
automatic}.  The smell that I lose when "off" is sharp & acrid.  I use merely
acrid. I do not smell auto exhaust (diesel yes), vile odors from beauty
parlors giving permanent waves, many paints drying,  many organic solvents,
barely smell mercaptan,  cheap zScotch tastes good, skunk smells sweet.  With
s dose of Sinemet these things come back.  Sometimes I think being "off" has
advantages.
             Will Johnston, Salisbury, Maryland  (a former Tennessean whose
mottther worked on the Nashville Banner following her 1 year at Vandy in
~1924.