Just passing on a couple excerpts from the holistic e-mail discussion list.
One seems to be about a sort of e-mail list for depression, which is common to
PD (no kidding!), and the other is about excitotoxins.  I'm passing that one
on because I read in a book somewhere that suggested excitotoxins (msg, etc.)
may play a part in Parkinson's and other brain diseases.  If I run across that
reference again, I'll pass it along too.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Lithium

Try posting this question to alt.support.depression.  Some of the people
there are interested in holistic help for depression, both uni and bi
polar.  Also, there's a doctor who will sometimes answer question like
how mania works and how they think the lithim works to help it.

*** For L.A.con III info, write to [log in to unmask] ***
Join for $90, payable to L.A.con III, PO Box 8442, Van Nuys CA 91409.

------------

Subject: Exitotoxins

I haven't seen this topic brought up here; my attention this week is
focused on "Exitotoxins: The Taste that Kills," by Russell Blaylock,
a neurologist at the Medical Univ. of Mississippi. I became interested in
it because it discusses exitotoxins' apparent relationship to
diseases like Alzheimer's, which my mother has. He includes a list of
ingredients containing "hidden" MSG, i.e., those benign-seeming ingredients
in processed food such as "spices," "flavoring," etc.; as well as Aspartame
(NutraSweet). Does anyone have a complete list of such ingredients? Here are
those mentioned in the book:

Additives that always contain MSG:

Monosodium Glutamate
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Plant Protein Extract
Sodium Caseinate
Calcium Caseinate
Yeast Extract
Textured Protein
Autolyzed Yeast
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Additives that frequently contain MSG:

Malt extract
Malt flavoring
Boullion
Broth
Stock
Flavoring
Natural Flavoring
Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring
Seasoning
Spices

Additives that may contain MSG or excitotoxins:

Carrageenan
Enzymes
Soy Protein Concentrate
Soy Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Concentrate

(Excitotoxins are also added to smoking tobacco, as noted in the book.)

He also lists protease enzymes of various sources that are capable of
releasing
excitotoxin amino acids from food proteins--but not specifically. Does anyone
have a list of these?