You wrote:

>>>I recently met a lady who had had a Thalamotomy 2 years ago and is
>continuing to have a wonderful reprieve from her tremor and
>rigidity.<<
>
>Hi, I joined this list because my father-in-law (74) has PD.  He
suffers from
>rigidity (no tremors) and dementia.  The meds make him even more
confused,
>and cause hallucinations.  Does a thalamotomy have any effect on
dementia?

>Thank you,
>Sheila

Sheila:  Thalamotomy is done primarily for tremor.  It usually has no
effect on dementia.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"