I heartily agree with those who use exercise to control/fight the PD.  I've
been diagnosed for a little over 3 years, with some symptoms as long as 2
years before that.  I'm 31 now, and continue to play soccer, some volleyball,
and even softball.  I am starting, however, to move away from the softball  &
volleyball for a couple reasons.  It is difficult for me to throw the ball
with any real control, unless I'm in the outfield where I can get my whole
body behind the throw and just blast it, and not worry about aim as much
(expecting the infield to move to catch it of course!).  I find in volleyball,
and in soccer too, that my endurance and reflexes have decreased somewhat, and
although  I'm an ok player at both sports, even without the PD I'd never be an
outstanding player, because I'm not into anything that seriously to practice
the amount it takes to excel (plus I started playing both seriously a little
older than most, after I knew about the possibility of injury!).  I also find
that in team sports, even in a league that's supposed to be "friendly" rather
than real competetive ,  some people take it too serious.  I admit my skills
may not be what they once were, but the aggravation of having the "best"
players either hog all the playing time and/or blame losses on the "ok"
players, isn't worth the trouble anymore.

I'm starting to steer more to Tai Chi, weight lifting, and perhaps even
jazzercise, yoga, walking, etc., altho' I don't intend to give up soccer for a
while (it's fun being the only girl playing with the guys sometimes!)  I don't
need to risk injury playing some of these team sports, and I need methods to
help de-stress, and work on strength, balance, and flexibility.  Anyway, gotta
run for my Tai Chi class, but wanted to put in a definite pro-vote for staying
in shape.  If nothing else, keeping oneself healthy  allover can only help
fight disease, and perhaps ward off any others that might otherwise develop
(heart disease, arthritis, etc.).  I've got enough problems between allergies
& sinuses and the PD, I don't intend to let anything else develop because I'm
failed to stay in decent physical shape overall.  Working out for me is a
great stress reducer, and it's helped me get thru many difficult times, times
when I had the least time or motivation to exercise are when I usually need it
most (except for the occassions where the body emphatically says "rest").  I
think it's great for depression too, because you can go take out all your
aggravation on some unsuspecting weight machine!

 One more thought, while not denying that I have PD (I have had to slowly make
some lifestyle changes), I plan to live my life (almost) as I would without
the PD, and make future plans accordingly.  The changes I've had to make due
to the PD, were probably ones that were necessary anyway.  Can't keep up the
crazy pace of going out doing something every night forever.  But, I intend to
make plans, careerwise and personal, as if I will be able to do what I plan to
at whatever future time it  may be.   I AM NOT going to assume that because I
have PD that this is the beginning of the end,...  it is  just the beginning!!

 Wendy Tebay