Sinemet and it's generic equivalents have carbidopa to inhibit peripheral
conversion of l-dopa to dopamine.  Two different rationales are stated as
purposes.  One is to prevent the conversion to dopamine because this causes
nausea and tendency to vomit or feel like that is imminent.  the second is
to keep more of the l-dopa available in the bloodstream until it is
absorbed by the brain.
My query is in regard to the effects of carbidopa on the peripheral (parts
of the body other than the brain) processes.  Are some of the chronic
sinemet effects due to the carbidopa?  What about the need for dopamine by
the dopaminergic neural cells in the gastro-intestinal tract.  As I
understand it, all the dopaminergic cells in the colon of Dr. Sidney Dorros
were dead and contained Lewy bodies per the autopsy and special testing
done by Dr. Ronald Pfeiffer.  His death was deemed proximately due to lack
of nerve cells sufficient to allow the normal function of de-fecating.
Were data gathered on the carbidopa per se in the pre-approval testing of
Lodosyn (which is carbidopa alone)?  Are some of the long-term chronic
medication effects different for the Madopar which uses a different
chemical to inhibit the conversion enzyme?
Has anyone tried switching from one to the other after eight or ten years?
Were animal data on each of these drugs inclusive of long-term high dosages
obtained?  Were any of the effects correlated to the enhancement or
retardation of gastrointestinal or other process decay of normal aging - or
typical PD decay without carbidopa, etc.
Another subject: Some references to lipofuscin (age darkening in the brain)
have confused me. Is this only in dopaminergic neurons?  Does it equate to
neuromelanin? ... which is the blackening agent that makes the substantia
nigra black?   Or, is the substantia nigra black at birth?  Are the skin
age spots due to melanin?  Is this melanin in nerve cells?  I apologize for
not knowing where to look for information about these curiosities I have
had in my thoughts; I would appreciate answers or specific place(s) to
look.

Ron  <[log in to unmask]> Ronald F. Vetter