Charles:

Sorry for the late reply; i was out of town for two weeks.

I am 27, diagnosed 2 1/2 years, taking Sinemet the entire time.  I have
found that taking Sinemet either half-an-hour prior or one hour after
eating works best for me (as suggested by Alan Bonander on this list).  I
rarely have nausea.  Of course, it depends on how much protein you eat as
to how well the meds work.  I take Sinemet CR.  I take 1 whole Sinemet with
one Eldepryl for my first dose, then a half Sinemet every two hours four
times a day.

I have recently cut out caffeine from my diet and have noted less dyskinesia.

Peace,

On 4/6/95, Charlie Barasch ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>    I was diagnosed with PD two years ago, but have just started
>taking sinemet, after two years of just eldepryl.  My symptoms
>are still fairly mild, and only slightly more advanced than two
>years ago, but my neurologist told me I'd feel a lot better with
>the sinemet, so I thought I'd try it.  I think that based on what
>he said, I was expecting a "Popeye and spinach" effect, but
>after two weeks on sinemet 25-100, I notice only small changes,
>and I'm not even sure about those.  My balance certainly seems
>better -- getting in and out of chairs is a lot easier.  That
>seems to be the biggest change.  I think my foot-dragging, lack
>of armswing, and difficulty putting my sweater on are better,
>but I'm not sure.  Other people tell me I seem more animated,
>even those who didn't know I'd started sinemet.  I also have some
>side effects.  I know that most of you on this network have used
>sinemet a lot longer than me, so I thought I'd ask some
>questions:
>
>1) Is my response to sinemet fairly typical?
>
>2) One of my side effects is nausea, especially in the morning.
>I'm taking 3 pills a day, with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I
>sometimes get nausea about 30 minutes after taking the morning
>pill, sometimes also after the others.  Any suggestions?  Should
>I take it before, during, or after the meal?  (My neurologist
>suggests before; he also said I might try taking half the pill
>before, and half after.)

Rom Carpathian [persona] ([log in to unmask])
Jeffrey Romanyshyn
Ph.D. Student-Humanities

"The darkest hour is just before dawn"

"When two Vampyres fall in love in Cyberspace, it's called:

                 Love at first Byte!"

Rom Carpathian