Judith,  We recently remodeled my father-in-law's bathroom and bedroom with
some of the "gadgets" you are referring to.  The best way to go about this
is to have the PD patient stand in the bathtub and show you exactly how he
wants things to be, i.e., where he stands, exact height where it is most
convenient for him to get in and out with grab bars.  My father-in-law
wanted grab bars on all three walls in the shower PLUS a stool with a back
on it and handles on the side.  These stools are hard to find that still
allow the shower curtain to be closed because most of them hang over the
side of the tub.  But we did find on at a medical supply store.  Dad also
has three small grab bars around the toilet which he says are life savers.
All of these were installed by the hardware store which we bought them
from.

We have gone through rental hospital beds (3 different ones) and finally
bought and oversized adjustable bed - head and foot - with massage and
heat.  A lot of this was overkill, he still sleeps in a chair half the
night.  And the chair in this room is another story.  Finding one that
reclines without using too much body strength either in the arms and legs
was very difficult to do.  He even bought a chair that one is able to
"stand" to get out of them but he found it threw him too far forward and
lost his balance too often.

Dad is the sweetest person in the entire world but he is a major pushover
for "gadgets" like these.  The guy who sold him the bed came to the house
and showed him a half hour video.  The same scam was pulled on him with the
"remarkable chair" by the same guy a week later.  He conveniently came to
the house with these videos while my husband and I were at work.