George,

Thankyou for your comments on the benefits of strength training for
those woth PD. I read these with great interest. Our studies have
shown that even a person with stage III PD can benefit from strength
training if they have postural instability and experience falls. So
it's not to late for a person who is at an "advanced" stage of the
condition to improve and benefit from strength training.

I don't agree with you that "quick bursts of strengthening...works for
musculoskeletal problems but not for Parkinson's disease." My pilot
work showed that after only 10 weeks of strength and balance training
persons improved balance and strength.

I agree, a new way of thinking about physiotherapy as it applies to PD
is in order and I believe that strength training can be a major part
of this, especially in the circumstances I have desribed. To date,
there are no studies which validate that persons with Pd can benefit
from strength and/or balance training. But, I think you'll soon
find that to change. It will take some time before therapists,
neurologists and others start to see fitness as a necessity for
persons with PD. If one where to
suggest strength training for persons who have PD (and are also rigid)
to a physical therapist, one would surely be hit
over the head with a hammer. And most of us would not try again after
that.

Mark A. Hirsch, (soon to be Ph.D., Florida State University,
Tallahassee, Florida)