The Parkinson Digest letter again brings up the theme that there should
be a single Parkinson Organization.

This is WORST idea for making progress unless we know EXACTLY where we
are going.  Once a cure/treatment is found, this will be a good idea.

Right now there are a large number of problems, both for treatment and
searching for a cure.  Young PDers have very different problems and
special needs that are different from the elderly.  Interim treatments
and solutions are needed while many different paths for a cure are
explored.

Cancer has American Cancer Society, Ronald McDonald House, Make a Wish,
and other organizations working at both the disease and the problems that
come with the disease.  They each have a different agenda and diffent
goals.  PD needs the same diffuse and diversity.  We need different ideas
and different institutions where people with different approaches and
philosophies can work.  DR. run places tend to be VERY caste driven and
stratified (if you don't have MD after your name, you are 2nd class and
if you are RN or theropist it can be difficult to get funding).  On the
other hand having an research institution without strong peer review and
resources to perform good statistical DESIGN of tests, the results can be
literally fatal.

I, for one, want the many institutions and hope they all stay independent.

Thank you for your time

COLMAN

Wendy, Nancy, Debbie or Colman Mullin