I have been suffering from PD for five years. I knew there was some hot debates
over pallidotomy on the net a couple of months ago. I do not intend to stir up
the controversy again but since I just got the video shipped overseas to me, I
feel like to share my view with you.
1. While Dr. Iacono was doing pre-operation interview with Don, at one point
when he first started to explain the symptoms of PD, he suddenly said he was
teaching students. From the camera angle and judged from the size of examine
room, there was no place for a group of students. Maybe he wanted this do not
look like a commercial, but IT IS A COMMERCIAL.
2. While Don was performing some task in the hallway, there were some laughter,
the whole thing was insulting and presented in poor tests.
3. The surgical procedure was not clear to the viewers so as to create a almost
mystical effect to dramatize the miracle of pall. Local anesthesia must be
applied, the procedure to penetrate the probe through skull was not explained.
The WSJ article said a solution was used to create lesion was not correct
according to the video. It seemed that electric current was used.
4. Most offending was Dr. Iacono's last two comments: "It's best time to have
PD." THERE IS NO BEST TIME TO HAVE PD!!! "We have got it beat." NO, THE ONLY
DISEASE GOT BEAT SO FAR IS SMALL POX. THIS CHAUVINISTIC VIEW COULD HINDER
FURTHER RESEARCH ON PD. I wonder when l-dopa was first introduced, somewhere
someone must have said the same thing " We have got it beat." It might be the
precise reason that pall procedure has not been discovered sooner.

Liangshiu Lee ([log in to unmask])