--------------- Forwarded Story ---------------

Headline: Human fetal cells treat Parkinson's
Wire Service: UPn (UPI US & World)
Date: Wed, Apr 26, 1995

   BOSTON, April 26 (UPI) -- In a landmark study, doctors successfully
transplanted human fetal cells into the brain of a man with Parkinson's disease,
apparently clearing up the most debilitating effects of the disease, researchers
said Wednesday.
   When the fetal cells were transplanted into the brain of a 59-year old
retired Florida man, he was transformed from a wheelchair-bound invalid to
nearly normal. He later died from an unrelated surgery, allowing researchers to
perform an autospy that documented that the fetal cells had indeed been growing
in the man's brain.
   Researchers theorize that the remarkable outcome was due to production of
dopamine, a brain chemical that regulates motor function, by the growing
implanted cells.
   "The data is unequivocal," said Jeffrey Kordower, the lead author of the
report. "We proved that we can transplant cells into the human brain where they
will survive and grow and produce dopamine."
   And that translates into a better quality of life for the patient, said
Kordower, director of the Research Center for Brain Repair and professor of
neurological sciences at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center.
   "I can't tell you how excited we were. We believe we have achieved proof of
principle. What we thought and theorized would happen, actually occurred,"
Kordower told United Press International.
   The patient's doctor, Dr. C. Warren Olanow, chairman of the department of
neurology at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York is a co-author of the
study to be published in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine. Olanow
said, "It is rare in medicine that a single case can make that case. But this is
what has happened."
   Dr. Barry Hoffer, who wrote a supportive editorial in the journal, said,
"This is a very important finding. This is really the first demonstration that
human fetal tissue survived transplantation to another person's brain."
   Up to 1.5 million people in the United States have Parkinson's disease, said
Diana Orr, a spokesperson for the Parkinson's Disease Foundation at Columbia
University. The disease is the fourth most common neurodegenerative disease of
the elderly, and is characterized by slowness and poverty of movement, muscular
rigidity, resting tremor, and postural instability.
 (Written by Ed Susman, from West Palm Beach, Fla., edited by Larry Schuster,
science and technology editor in Washington)

  Copyright 1995 The United Press International