Hi Lyle,
     I can't give you much advice about your father's symptoms, since mine
are different for the most part.  However, I can say some words about Ativan
and I can  emphatically say some things about doctors and PD.  I understand
that either Ativan or Clonapin (sp?) is the drug of choice for PD patients'
anxiety.  It's important to manage the anxiety because it will interfere with
the efficacy of  the  PD meds. and can cause akinesia.
      As for doctors, my experience is that they presume to understand PD and
the symptoms experienced by patients much more than they do.  They also
attribute complaints to PD  that are from something else.  If you shout, they
may discount you for being hysterical.  If you speak clearly and succinctly,
they may discount you  because they think they know better.  IT IS ESSENTIAL
THAT YOU KNOW IN YOUR GUT YOU HAVE BEEN UNDERSTOOD BEFORE YOU  ACCEPT THEIR
ADVICE.  I may sound synical but I have  had 18 years of experience with some
pretty big mishaps.  Doctors  are people too and if we get passive forget
good treatment.
Good luck with your Dad.   Claudia